I would rather not go through and individually edit the information in Video Station, especially as this would do nothing for those files that don't show up anywhere. If you get a new server, you can keep the existing server as a backup. Synology is focused on cost . Synology also provides full technical support for longer than you'd think. Your question/comment is one of many Dong Knows Tech receives daily. Its safe to say it wont be my last. That is why I said that picking the number of drive bays is going to be the most important decision. Below I've pulled together what I believe are acceptable formats for TV Shows, Movies and also a Useful Tips section. Since then, Ive owned and managed a few dozen, the latest by the time of this post being the DS1522+. The Synology supports encryption itself for the entire volume which you can turn on or off depending on your needs. Report an Issue - Review of the Synology DS1019+, a storage workhorse honestly for transcoding 4k content i would highly recommend not getting a Synology system and building your own instead. Can you tell me if Synology can do this? Id call that a negative many people lost thousands of files and data. Tip. Of all the mesh brands, QNAP is the most similar to Synology, with much better hardware specs at the same price point. Do you want to spend more money on features that you'll probably never use but can feel good that you have? RAID 1 of two hard drives can be quite slow. Finally, Synology makes a super-cheap se version of the two-bay DS216. This app works with a large number of IP cams on the market. in certain cases failure of HW RAID controller may render even RAID 1 disks unusable. Like all OSes, DSM has essential functions, such as user management, network settings, security, shared folders, Time Machine backup support, and many others. Under " Policies", click Repositories. need to expand your storage), you'd buy the respective DX or RX model. I hear you Donald and thanks for the input. Your naming TV Show Name/Season 1/TV Show Name Episode Title S01E01.avi is not correctly identified anymore by syno. We run through Synologys range and explain the differences between its models. Most available (and realistically priced) generations of enterprise hardware can be had for bargain basement prices (given normal caveats on purchasing from vendors you trust and knowing what you are actually purchasing) on etailers like Ebay. We synch them up via the internet for the photos and videos from projects, as well as synchronizing our time machine backups for offsite backup. 1. Hope this time it is a charm. Link to post This is more of a warning than a mandatory step but don't worry about upgrading the RAM before you turn your NAS on for the first time. Accessing the server directly means you wont need to store data on the computer, which is great if you want to share the same data with others in the network or your computer has limited space. Servers with a 64-bit CPU thats most Plus (+) servers and those released in the past five years can handle 108TB per volume, and most XS and higher-end servers can control 200TB per volume. standard series (no digit) = mixture of performance and storage.. Which Synology NAS for 4k Plex? - Linus Tech Tips So, if you get a new server today, you can safely expect it to last a decade. The software is the Synology superpower even if the hardware is just meh. If you anticipate wanting to find a file by date, then put the date first. Some servers can do larger than 200TB volume size. Sure, Georgiy. By accepting all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies to deliver and maintain our services and site, improve the quality of Reddit, personalize Reddit content and advertising, and measure the effectiveness of advertising. Love your site. In the future, there will likely be new supported dongles that are explicitly approved or manufactured by Synology. I would rather search for Bourne Identity, The instead of The Bourne Identity. There are many ways for that, too, depending on what you want to do. For a bit more on Time Machine backup and NAS, you can check out this post. normal i would put it under specials S00E## but i have two problems with that there are extras for every season and the other issue is there where already Special for the TV show, Scroll down to Tips for naming video files. ago u/StorageReview Synology has quietly added support for M.2 SSD volumes. Synology today released the DiskStation DS1823xs+, an 8-bay server with built-in 10Gbps Ethernet capability. An add-on 10Gbps card as mentioned above only works after a servers OS has been installed. They seem to be the most direct competition for Synology, but pound for pound, QNAPs always seem to have far, far superior hardware and the ability to just generally tinker, which lead me to buy a QNAP over Synology. Your first decision will concern the number of drive bays: do you need one, two, four or more? And do the add on expansions follow the same rules? MODULES - Movies Naming - TV Shows Naming - TV Shows Releases - Metadata Scanner METADATA PROVIDER You can use the DS File mobile app to access shared folders and move data between the server and the mobile device. By the way, this post on how to conserve Internet bandwidth might apply to your situation. Because two DX517 expansion units can be connected to it, each of which have 5 drive bays themselves. Your email address will not be published. Permission Type: Select Public if you want the library to be accessed by everyone. Here's an image that shows how the model number breaks down (which I was I was trying to explain in my post): https://www.synology.com/img/products/getting_started/choose_01.jpg. Best Practices for File Naming - Records Express Help teach these 10 best practices and find some of your own that will make not just your life . Connect the server to your router or switch using a network cable and turn it on. Isn't that the next component in Synology's naming convention? But, no negative about how back in the day thousands of Synology NAS got hacked with Synolocker ransomware. That was true then. If you have any problems with the API, view this thread here: https://www.themoviedb.org/talk/618ada421cfe3a002a4f89d1#619e4d03310325008f5c5d56. In reality those hard drives are actually more likely to fail and harm you data because NVMe drives are usually not built to be written and read to that often. More than enough HP but it . And out of that extensive experience, I cant find anything purely negative about Synology NAS. Starting with DSM 7, all Synology NAS servers have the option of a 2-Factor Authentication login, which you can enforce on individual accounts or a user group. Its just like having multiple unlimited Dropbox accounts for free. You now know everything you need to buy your Synology NAS so go ahead and pull the trigger. So let's assume we are going to use a Synology Hybrid Raid (SHR) and we're looking at that sweet spot of 4 to 8 drive bays. With heavy use of the ip camera recording. Under "Default branch name", enter the default branch name that new repositories should use. After DS prefix comes the model number. Instead, write Synology NAS servers or Synology NAS devices. And you can also set the max download speed to ensure the server doesnt hog all the Internet bandwidth and many other settings options. The server houses five drives and can host two 5-bay expansion units. Curious if others are experiencing this issue. Double-click on it when you find something, and the download will start. Unfortunately, I did. I cant find a Settings entry to alphabetize the titles. API and Synology NAS DS Video. - Talk The Movie Database (TMDB) However, since AMD CPUs dont include a graphics processing unit (GPU), the new servers are less suitable for native video transcoding. For some reason I am frequently getting a connection failed error on the synology assistant and the router does not seem to be recognized for configuring the port forwarding. There are more than 30 models listed on the companys website, with cryptic names such as RS3617xs+ and DS216+II. . There is no right Plex naming convention, but generally, movies use a (year), so that you can organize chronologically. The number one mistake I think people make about NAS is thinking that it backs up your data. My original plan was to expand volumes across the two units and switch from SHR to SHR2, but now I am reading a lot about spanning volumes across two units being a bad idea. synology naming convention - thairesidents.com Hard drives dont last forever. Oh you don't like Seagate for some arbitrary reason? I'm not the original creator of that TV Show data, however. It's a better idea to get it up and running in its default state to ensure that there are no defective parts. Other times shows with a title (in the file name) similar to some TV series shows up as that series. mean. Standard mid-range model, more powerful than j range, Powerful processor, hardware encryption for video transcoding, Super-budget model, single-core processor, small amount of RAM, Intel-powered NAS. I plan on getting one and going to use everything that you mentioned you use. The S is for the primary unit (you need at least one of these) and the X is for the expansion unit. Thanks. In cases where you group your movie files together (not within individual folders for each movie), you'll need to make sure that the files are named appropriately. Shows | Jellyfin Second, file organization matters (although, in the case of photos, not as much if you have a premium Plex Pass membership and prefer the timeline view). People should know if youre going to run one with external internet access they need to only allow it via a VPN connection. There are numerous Video Station threads on dropped and missing codecs which have been ignored. Hi Mike, I think users are supposed to keep their servers updated. The former has a faster CPU, more RAM, and two 2.5GbE Multi-Gig ports, which help deliver significantly faster raw throughput speed than the latter. This file name convention is. E.g. All I can do is give you two pieces of advice that I think will help. The Package Center is the most powerful feature of a Synology server. How have you done it ShellDude and are you happy with your solution? Plex naming convention is also quite important. OK my ramble is over, Synology rocks , Well, that makes two of us, David. App - SynoForum.com - The Unofficial Synology Forum The only requirement is that the destination server has the same or more drive bays than your existing unit. For more information about the use of the Synology logo, please contact [email protected]. Log in!Click here if you need help allowing ads! There are three volume size limits, 16TB, 108TB, and 200TB. Synology tends to change this each year with its range refresh, so in the past few years weve had DS212, DS213, DS214 and DS215, for example. QuickConnect is an easy and quick way to use your server remotely. This is around 40 cheaper than the DS216j, but it has only a single-core 800MHz processor and 256MB rather than 512MB of RAM. Thats an app store where you can install more applications that add features and functionalities to the server. As we have not formally heard Synology launch SRM 3 (in beta, provisionally or in RC), that likely means that the RT6600ax will arrive with the current fully-featured SRM software and services, with the newest version with enhanced network management, security, improved intuitive layout and enhanced mobile app soon afterwards. Theres also a search function that will look among BitTorrent sources for what you want. How much storage could our NAS potentially have? Looking for on-site storage for your home or SMB? Examples are content streaming, surveillance apps, photo sharing, downloading, etc. That thing is awesome). The supplied disks tend to be WD Red models, which are designed to be used specifically with a NAS. Model numbers explained. How do I make the first Doc West movie have the correct information? This is going to be the easiest decision you have to make because the answer is "DS". Hey Dong, love your site. Question about the NAS servers. Welcome to NASCompares YouTube channel! The purpose was as the main storage for my wifes business files, mostly word and excel docs and massive outlook psts. You can still use any drive with Synology, they are just not supported if something happens and got get a passive warning the drive health check still works, by the way. Have been lazily delaying finishing my server build on some old hardware and wanting to add a RAID setup, but these honestly seem like theyd be easier to use. Things become more clever as you move up to a four-bay NAS or larger. So we got a 420j, popped the disks in, and all was great for about one month. To ensure this is possible, every member of the editorial staff follows a clear code of conduct. Unsupported Characters and File Types - Egnyte In my experience, the new AMD-based servers are much better overall they are great for running virtual machines. , It is still a huge issue, having your NAS constantly attacked. The most favourable brand seemed to be Synology so I finally decided to take the plunge and purchase one. You can also set up the NAS as a VPN, DNS, and DHCP server. r/StorageReview 14 days ago u/StorageReview Synology has quietly added support for M.2 SSD volumes. And we are thinking of getting an outdoor surveillance camera. And I know a lot of users are crying foul about it. Synologys latest NAS OS, the DSM 7, supports servers as old as the 2013 model year. Stay away from QNAP, Heiko. Zero issues in two years. However, that turned out to be the fault of Intels chip, and Synology promptly replaced mine for free, even though it had already been out of warranty. Why are we talking about drive bays instead of hard drives? The DS220+ can do that, Mur, and the DS720+ makes little difference unless you want to expand to more drives later. Going back to the car analogy, the J series would be no different than buying a baseline Toyota Corolla. If a drive has a S.M.A.R.T error or bad sectors, its time to replace it. On the other hand, the Snapshot portion is a must-use. Name: Enter a name for the newly-added library. On the Synology side, i just have to enable LA by creating a Bond in the Network Interface section. That is the concept of a RAID. I wasnt much happy with the available apps that rename the video according to the naming convention, so I personally developed a new app for Windows 10. So if we go forward setting up a fresh SHR with new hdds on the existing, recently purchased 420j, will I be correct that a safe way to move is to run a full hyperbackup to C2 and set it to run everynight to update files that have changed AND also get her to start saving files also to the external HDD I am adding to our setup? Consequently, you can only use a servers USB ports to host storage devices, such as portable drives. That was likely caused by your adblocker, Gary. . Naming Files, Paths, and Namespaces - Win32 apps Like all content on this website, this post is not sponsored. In fact, with the benefits of hindsight and real-world usage, Im also more confident that nobody beats Synology in network-attached storage. I generally use WD Red or Seagate IronWolf, Marco. When I look at a server, say the DS920+, I know it has 5 bays. Looks like you have exactly the setup I am about to have (DS920+ w/ DX517). What Is a Naming Convention? Just a lot more headache. It must follow the form {edition- [Edition Name]} . Here are the common detailed steps. Samsung SSD Buyers Guide to Pro, Plus, EVO - NAS Compares This is a huge deal, as Synology previously allowed these slotted SSD drives for cache purposes only, limiting their utility. Check out my blog on https://rasmushaslund.com - Rasmus is a Veeam Certified Trainer and passionate about all community work. Still, running Synology's DiskStation Manager (DSM) operating system, it shares the Plus notion of non-xs . Groundhog Day.mp4. Just to confirm, there is just one type of LA right? I dont see this in Synology Video Station. What would you advise? The DS1019+ should be on your short list, especially if want to use it as a Plex or other video server within the environment. The best thing I can tell you there is to look at the product page for them to see if it supports and expansion unit to find out how many bays it can actually support. The benefit of this naming scheme is to prevent download loops which can occur on import when there is a discrepancy in the release title compared to the contents of the file itself (for example, if the release title says DTS-ES but the contents are actually DTS). How to Add Movies to a Library If I got two 8-10 tb drives I would have plenty of room for the videos, backup and surveillance video. Im a newbie to Synology Video Station and want to properly manage the movie titles before putting them into the default Movies folder. Crucial P1 Review: Low Cost Meets Wild Performance, Best Wi-Fi 5 Routers: On a Budget? This app is one of the many streaming features of a Synology NAS. Video Category | Video Station - Synology Knowledge Center I have always been the type of person who built and ran their own file server. This is accomplished easily with MakeMKV and using the following steps: Place the Blu-ray disc in the reader, and then open MakeMKV. ago. This allows sorting alphabetically into chronological order. Specifically, a server running a 32-bit CPU, including most standard and low-tier servers, has a volume limit of 16TB.
Gordonstoun Teacher Killed, Articles S