Dr. Hinojosa, a proud graduate of Dallas ISD, holds a doctorate in education from the University of Texas at Austin. Thats why so many people trust him and like working with him, and why Dallas ISD has taken such big strides forward under his leadership.. North Texas superintendents speak on critical race theory | The Texas At the time, some officials speculated that Cordova was the next chief in training. He left there three years ago and returned to Texas, most recently working as an . I dont know if any of you have been a grandfather before, but this is new to me. 2? And although he is facing a six-figure pay cut from Dallas, which pays him $328,000 a year, to Cobb, which pays Sanderson a base of $206,000, Hinojosa can more than make up the difference by officially retiring from his Texas job. That kind of changed the conversation of the notes that I had been giving to other people because this was different.. Scholarships funded in the superintendent's honor open for - The Hub An item calling for an executive session to discuss the resignation of the superintendent was on the agenda, as was an item to vote on that resignation. 24/7 emergency service; 500+ service trucks on the road; 10,000+ verified reviews; Book Online . She joined Dallas ISD in 2011 as Director of Mathematics in the division of Teaching and Learning. Francis G. Hinojosa, 85, died October 29, 2022. engage2learn, a leader in supporting public school districts through measured, competency-based talent development, announced the appointment of Dr. Michael Hinojosa as Chief Impact Officer. In a recent poll conducted by the Dallas Morning News and Suffolk University had Mayor Eric Johnson with a nine-point lead over Hinojosa on a 2023 ballot. If he wanted to do that, hed have to leave earlier. The last school board meeting before the district takes its July break happened last Thursday. Trustee Karla Garcia remembers that when she was a young student, shed turn on Univision with her family to see Hinojosa delivering important school announcements in Spanish. I am going to exit as superintendent. Former DISD Superintendent Dr. Michael Hinojosa May Be Dallas's Next Mayor I said back then, No, this is going to be indefinite,' he said, recognizing the district was very fortunate to be able to get devices out to as many students as possible before spring break. Your email address will not be published. The Hinojosas will be on the show at 12:30 p.m. (CST) July 27. 750 North St.Paul St. He is survived by his son Derek Guerra; daughter Nola Hinojosa; brother Michael Hinojosa; sister Mary Helen Spears; grandchildren Oscar Delgado, Juliette Delgado, Bionel . Enjoy unlimited access to all of our incredible journalism, in print and digital. His original agreement in January with the board prevented him from running for office while he was an employee of the district. Click below for a video of Michael Hinojosa when . 0:50. He has a son from a previous marriage I get up at 3:45 every morning. UPDATED to include Thursday's press conference and reaction to Hinojosa's announcement.. Dallas ISD Superintendent Michael Hinojosa is apparently going to be one in a recent spate of superintendents to resign their posts, the Dallas Morning News reported Wednesday.. Hinojosa reportedly told fellow Texas superintendents about his resignation earlier this week in a phone call. He's a great communicator, said Josue Tamarez Torres, a 4th-grade math teacher at Cesar Chavez Learning Center. But rural school districts are closing. [9], Wilmer-Hutchins Independent School District, "Testimony to US House of Representatives Committee on Education and the Workforce", "Ousted Fort Worth Superintendent's Parachute Is Really Golden Even by Dallas ISD Standards", "Recent Dallas Schools Superintendents Haven't Stayed Long On The Job", "Past Dallas schools chiefs leave mixed legacies", "Michael Hinojosa returns to Dallas ISD as interim superintendent", "Dallas schools superintendent gets contract extension, will stay 'as long as they want me around', "Dallas ISD superintendent Michael Hinojosa gets new five-year contract with an intriguing incentive package", "What we know about Dallas schools Superintendent Hinojosa leaving the district", "DISD Super Michael Hinojosa Officially Quits", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Michael_Hinojosa&oldid=1104455668, This page was last edited on 15 August 2022, at 03:20. And that's why federal data show nationwide preschool and . Whats Next for the Dallas ISD Super? Total hospitalizations for the region are down. 750 St. Paul Street Hinojosas prospectsthats another story. Rafael Hinojosa Jr. Rafael Hinojosa, Jr. was born on December 15, 1933 in Hebbronville, Texas, and passed away on January 24, 2016 at the age of 82 in Lago Vista, Texas. DENNIS JAMES HINOJOSA DETROIT THE REVIEW JAN. 8, 2006 LAKE HAVASU, Ariz.. - DENNIS JAMES HINOJOSA DETROIT, 62, passed away on Thursday, Jan. 5, 2006, in Lake Havasu City. Dallas superintendent Michael Hinojosa will step down from his post leading the states second-largest school system by the end of this year. But they [school board trustees] need to find someone who can keep this magic going for 10 years and 20 years. There are just 14 available ICU beds in Dallas County. Internships are big too. (Necessary for the job, fwiw.) I have a lot of energy. That night, the board went into that executive session, and upon returning to open session, launched into the superintendents report. Thats the longest that Dallas has had a superintendent in 25 years, he said. In recent years, Hinojosa pushed for the creation of workskill and early college programs in nearly all of the districts high schools. I studied everything that I could.. Dr. Michael Hinojosa has served over 26 years as a superintendent/CEO of six public education systems, including two of the 25 largest school systems in America, Dallas ISD in Texas and the Cobb County School District in suburban Atlanta, Georgia. Exclusive: Hinojosa speaks on why he's resigning (but not retiring Im very excited., Hinojosa demonstrated some of that tenacity in addressing the Dallas media Thursday. Best of luck to him in his new endeavors.. Dr. Michael Hinojosa served more than 27 years as a superintendent/CEO of six public education systems, including two of the 25 largest school systems in America: Dallas ISD in Texas and the Cobb County School District in suburban Atlanta, Georgia. Last week, we jumped all the way up to over 1300 cases of the variant . She earned a Bachelor of Science degree in biology and a Master of Arts degree in educational leadership from UT San Antonio, and holds a doctorate in educational leadership and policy from UT Austin. Long Middle School and is recovering at home. His career in public education, from teacher and coach to superintendent/CEO, spans more than four decades. They spent a few years in the Panhandle before moving to Dallas where Hinojosa enrolled at Thomas Edison then a K-8 school in the second grade. Just one more week and Im gone.. Emily Donaldson, staff writer. People Newspapers is a D Magazine Partneraffiliate. Early College High School at El Centro Campus, Esperanza Hope Medrano Elementary School, Felix G. Botello Personalized Learning Elementary School, Francisco Pancho Medrano Junior High School, Franklin D. Roosevelt High School of Innovation, George Bannerman Dealey Montessori Academy, George Herbert Walker Bush Elementary School, Henry B. Gonzalez Personalized Learning Academy, Henry W. Longfellow Career Exploration Academy, Innovation, Design, Entrepreneurship Academy at James W. Fannin, Irma Lerma Rangel Young Womens Leadership School, J.P. Starks Math, Science and Technology Vanguard, Jill Stone Elementary School at Vickery Meadow, John Lewis Social Justice Academy at Oliver Wendell Holmes, K.B. He is also a past president of the Texas Association of School Administrators. Michael Hinojosa Will Leave His Job Early. visit our Schools and Covid-19 site for resources, Former Superintendent, Dallas Independent School District. She was born July 24, 1964 in Cubero, New Mexico to Armelino and Carmen Salazar. "I won't leave this Earth until I get justice for my son . Summit Returns + Woman Of Distinction Nominations Open, Cobb Firefighter Dies At 43 On Work Anniversary, Christopher Smith & Daijun Edwards Public Autograph Signing, Cobb County Government: Mable House Barnes Amphitheatre Announces 2023 Series, Marietta Area Adoptable Pets: Cats, Dogs & More, Cobb Executive Women Seek Nominations For Woman Of Distinction Award. I also saw their staff, and they do everything well, Hinojosa said. The rapid spread of classroom censorship policieshasleft educators feeling targetedand students without resources. One of the witnesses was interviewed by police and confirmed they saw the men arguing about 10 minutes before the shooting. The views expressed in this post are the author's own. This is a developing story and will be updated throughout the day. His last official day will be Dec. 31, 2022. While he and I have not always agreed on things, weve always worked as professionals and tried to find solutions that are good for students and employees, Honea said. Dallas ISD Superintendent Michael Hinojosa announces resignation Superintendent / Superintendent - Dallas Independent School District Pedro Hinojosa Obituary - Corpus Christi, TX - Dignity Memorial [3] His term was extended to December 31, 2020 in a unanimous vote in 2018. Why school enrollment continues to drop : NPR It's my view that Dr. Hinojosas work over the last several years, not just in COVID, has helped set the groundwork for folks to say, I might not agree with you on everything, but I'm willing to hear you out, said Owusu. Michael Hinojosa Profiles | Facebook Stephanie S. Elizalde, Ed.D., Superintendent of Schools. Dallas has stood its ground admirably against these forces. DISD Shows Off Magnet School Students' Talent, Announces Academic Plans Copyright 2023, D Magazine Partners, Inc. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. In the search for more permanent solutions, the district has partnered with more than 40 education institutions, businesses and nonprofit partners in co-founding the Internet for All Coalition. Instead of discussing the usual district accolades, Hinojosa announced (rather abruptly) that he would be departing his job early. He began his continuous period as DISD . With a degree in hand, he returned to his old neighborhood in search of a job. I wont leave this Earth until I get justice for my son, his mother said. 74 Interview: Dallas Supt. Michael Hinojosa on Why - The 74 Reports: Longtime DISD superintendent Michael Hinojosa is stepping down Trustees coaxed him back to DISD in mid-2015 as an interim leader when Miles suddenly departed. TEA ultimately opted not to enforce the states mask mandate ban, which came with a risk of legal and financial consequences, after the U.S. Department of Education threatened intervention over mask bans as a potential discrimination and civil rights concern. His career in public education, from teacher and coach to superintendent/CEO, spans more than four decades. After a short stint in Cobb County Schools, the Dallasite resigned from his job in Georgia to take on a consulting gig in North Texas. Three sources close to the Dallas ISD superintendent say he will soon announce his retirement. AUSTIN, Tex. Copyright 2023 KSAT.com is managed by Graham Digital and published by Graham Media Group, a division of Graham Holdings. Rafael Hinojosa Jr. Obituary - Austin, TX - Dignity Memorial So if you want to talk about commitment, Ive put my heart and soul into this job. He watched meetings online and really knew a lot about us. With a firm belief that education and not environment is the key to a students success, Hinojosa has led several school districts to improved student achievement. He attended W.H. Cherished fianc of Ginger Hetrich, loving father of Brandi Bigler (David) and Daniel Hinojosa (Melody), beloved son of Nathalie and the late Rafael Hinojosa, Jr. Michael also leaves behind six grandchildren, Payton Radosta, Noah Bigler, Jonah Bigler . His wife, he said, wouldnt let him retire. The DMN stated that the move to Cobb "caught many people off guard, including the school board" and that it resulted in "a sense of betrayal". SAN ANTONIO A man accused of fatally shooting a young San Antonio rapper during an argument on the West Side last month has been arrested, according to court documents. His resignation will come as a number of other Texas school leaders have departed jobs in their own districts and in some cases, the profession as a whole. Her sons' school is only offering an online option to children with medical needs, so her boys aren't eligible. A study of large districts National Assessment of Educational Progress scores. While the district has closed achievement gaps quicker than some urban peers, detractors often point to DISD still-disappointing academic performance, numbers that are likely to be much worse as the pandemic lingers. American Airlines, flight attendants file for mediation during contract negotiations, New Uptown office tower lands second major lease, Years after North Texas bid for Amazons second headquarters, retail giant halts plan, Mesquite to become the site of new 2,500-home community, North Texas builders see influx of activity in new year, but challenges persist, Mark Wahlberg pours tequila for fans at Dallas restaurant during thunderstorm, Luka Doncic-Kyrie Irving tandem clicks with joint 40-point displays in Mavs win vs. 76ers, 12 Dallas-Fort Worth restaurants that have closed in 2023, Hot List: 16 great restaurants to visit in Dallas-Fort Worth in March 2023, Mass migration is wearing out Canadas welcome mat, The Cowboys are closer than you think to a total makeover at running back. And for me to have an opportunity to be close to my son kind of changed the equation. Hinojosa left his spot as Dallas ISD superintendent to take on the top job at a school district near Atlanta. At that time, he said his heart is in Texas and he was off the market. Dr. Elizalde most recently served as Superintendent of the Austin Independent School District, where she focused on establishing financial stability, supporting the teacher in the classroom, SEL and academic supports for students, and strategic staffing giving campuses with students who need more access to more. A new poll shows Dallas Mayor Eric Johnson is ahead of Dallas ISD Superintendent Michael Hinojosa by nine points in a hypothetical bid for mayor, but with the . Michael Hinojosa, Ed.D., Superintendent, Dallas Independent School District.Dr. MARIA HINOJOSA Obituary (2013) - McAllen, TX - The Monitor At least one trustee thinks Cordova is the right person to replace Hinojosa. Worried about Covid, most parents no longer want kids in school full Dallas ISD Athletics Hall of Fame: Meet the 2022 class - WFAA National Claim Services LLC. DISD also established a racial equity office and eliminated discretionary suspensions. Dallas, Texas 75201. At the dawn of the COVID-19 pandemic, Hinojosa was ahead of the curve in recognizing what was on the horizon. [4] Under his first term, DISD absorbed the Wilmer-Hutchins Independent School District (WHISD) and a school bond for $1.35 million was successfully implemented. Former superintendent and education expert will collaborate with school leaders across the nation to create custom solutions and revolutionize professional development efforts. Superintendent Hinojosa and his son featured on Dallas Love Field's She was superintendent of a reform-minded school district in Denver. Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton threatened to sue districts flouting that order. Several members of the districts senior leadership team could lead DISD, Carren said, before noting that he believes it is the temperature of the board to do a national search. Required fields are marked *. Greg Abbott and the Texas Education Agency, he says the differences werent personal. Michael Hinojosa is stepping down as Dallas superintendent. But - KERA The district also prides itself on offering a variety of district-grown school choice options, including an upcoming pre-K-8 biomedical school on the campus of University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center. Her recognitions include being named one of four Greater Dallas Hispanic Chamber of Commerce Outstanding Hispanics in Education for 2014 and recognition in 2016 by The Dallas Morning News as a Point Person for her work in the community. Dr. Michael Hinojosa - NETA 2023 In his statements, Johnson began publicly calling out Superintendent Dr. Michael Hinojosa for allegedly failing to follow-up with him, directly, about some safety and security concerns. Hinojosa and his wife, Kitty, a high school English teacher, have two grown sons, Taylor, 18, and Michael, 20. Dallas ISD Superintendent Michael Hinojosa to leave role as district leader Im not stepping down; Im stepping up, he said, adding that stepping down seems negative. Emily is an education reporter for Education Lab at The Dallas Morning News. Long-time Dallas superintendent Michael Hinojosa this week said he would step down from the job he's held since 2015. Dallas ISD Deputy Superintendent Susana Cordova Will Leave the District He originated from the Oak Cliff area of Dallas. Photo courtesy Dallas ISD. The Hinojosas will be on the show at 12:30 p.m. (CST) July 27. But you have to think she also knew the reform efforts in Denver would be at risk whenteacher-union stooges eventually took over the school board. She is the youngest of 13 children born to two Mexican immigrants who, as stated in her song "West Side of Town," "made a good life the hard way". The Council of the Great City Schools awarded him the Green-Garner Award, the highest honor in urban education, as the 2020 Urban Educator of the Year. Tish Hinojosa is a Mexican-American Singer Songwriter born in San Antonio Texas and living most recently in Austin, Texas. A generous Texas pension made it feasible for Hinojosa to leave Dallas, where the student population, operating budget and superintendents salary are all roughly 50 percent larger than in Cobb. Hinojosa, 65, hasnt publicly announced his plans; however, various community leaders and trustees are praising the superintendent for his long tenure in Dallas, noting that the districts next leader should share Hinojosas deep commitment to DISDs children. Hinojosa's announcement caps off a 42-year career improving public education systems across the nation as a teacher, coach, assistant principal, central office staff Learn More. The district will award one $10,000 Green-Garner . Rivergrass lawsuit filing, internal county memo raise conflict of He is no longer here, but I am alive. Elementary School, Lincoln High School and Humanities/Communications Magnet, Mark Twain School for the Talented & Gifted, Marvin E. Robinson School of Business and Management at Yvonne A. Ewell Townview, Personalized Learning Academy at Highland Meadows, Personalized Learning Preparatory at Sam Houston, Raul Quintanilla Sr. Middle School STEAM Academy, Rosie M. Collins Sorrells School of Education and Social Services at Yvonne A. Ewell Townv, School for the Talented and Gifted at Yvonne A. Ewell Townview Center, School for the Talented and Gifted in Pleasant Grove, School of Health Professions at Yvonne A. Ewell Townview Center, School of Science and Engineering at Yvonne A. Ewell Townview Center, Sudie L. Williams Talented and Gifted Academy, Thelma Elizabeth Page Richardson Elementary School, Thomas L. Marsalis Elementary STEAM Academy, West Dallas STEM School Program at Pinkston, William B. Travis Academy/Vanguard for the Academically Talented and Gifted, Young Mens Leadership Academy at Fred F. Florence Middle School, Young Womens STEAM Academy at Balch Springs Middle School, Leonides Gonzalez Cigarroa, M.D. Thats Eric Johnson. Bethany Erickson is the senior digital editor for. Dr. Michael Hinojosa, who served as the superintendent of the Dallas Independent School District from 2005-2011 and again since 2015, is expected to soon announce his intent to retireperhaps as early as tomorrow, according to three sources with knowledge of his plans. Officers searched the area on foot and by helicopter, but they did not find a gunman. And the fence-mending Johnson has done in recent months with former Council adversaries will help him against Hinojosa or any other challenger. For Hinojosa, two of those same sources and one other confirm he has long been considering a run for Dallas mayor. Hinojosa is a recipient of the Consortium for School Networking and American Association of School Administrators 2021 EmpowerED Digital Superintendent Award. The district also prides itself on offering a variety of district-grown school choice options, including. Office of the President Email: President@utrgv.edu Brownsville: (956) 882-8201 Edinburg: (956) 665-2100 Harlingen: (956) 296-1415. DALLAS When Dr. Michael Hinojosa was a student at Sunset High School in Dallas, he had no idea he'd eventually go on to teach in the city's school school . Both will attend Ivy League schools in the fallPrinceton and Harvard, respectively. Hinojosa Cites Family As Reason For Leaving DISD | KERA News Nathan Howard / Stringer via Getty Images, Clearlake Capital-Backed Discovery Education Names EdTech Veteran Jeremy Cowdrey as CEO, K-12 Education News: Discovery Education Offers School Systems Nationwide Free ESSER Funding G, Region 10, EdCuration Partnering to Make EdTech Purchasing Easy, Lexia Launches All for Literacy Podcast Series, By signing up to receive our newsletter, you agree to our, Permission granted by Dallas Independent School District. The Lead With Love show and podcast launched June 1. Stephanie Elizalde was elected by the Board of Trustees in June 2022 to serve as Superintendent of the Dallas Independent School District. His career in public education - from teacher and coach to superintendent/CEO -spans three decades, including leadership at two of the 25 largest school systems in America - the Dallas Independent School . He pointed out that when he was hired in May 2005, he was the school systems seventh superintendent in 10 years. And we were just at philosophical odds.. Im not dying.. The live broadcast will on Love Fields Facebook and YouTube Live. Michael Hinojosa. We're starting to see, I think, some statewide policy work that is a direct outcropping of his work. My last official day will be December 31, 2022. Hes energetic, a good listener, which leads to him being a creative problem-solver, and a sound decision maker under pressure, said Dallas Regional Chamber CEO and President Dale Petroskey. Just know its tough to beat an incumbent. Theyll get more training, Im not afraid of that. He turned in his application May 12. Want to post on Patch? In 2019, D Magazine named Hinojosa the Best Public Official in Dallas. I was very impressed with the staff and how much they were able to manage the growth of their buildings. Dallas ISD Deputy Superintendent Susana Cordova will be leaving the district this summer, according to an update then superintendent Michael Hinojosa provided to the board of . And just a few months later, they brought Hinojosa back permanently. Typically, I make consensus decisions and get a lot of people involved, he said. Cynthia Ann Salazar Hinojosa "Cindy", 56, passed away August 6, 2020 in San Antonio, Texas. It was pretty much predetermined because we already named him finalist, Banks said. From coach, assistant principal and consequently greater leadership roles and responsibilities.. Subscribe to the K-12 Dive free daily newsletter, Subscribe to K-12 Dive for top news, trends & analysis, The free newsletter covering the top industry headlines. [6] Hinojosa was hired again as superintendent in October of that year. MARIA DEL CARMEN HINOJOSA EDINBURG - Maria Del Carmen Hinojosa, 64, entered eternal rest on Friday, February 15, 2013 at Doctors Hospital at Renaissance in Edinburg. Dr. Elizalde is a third-generation public school educator, following in the footsteps of her grandmother and father. Steadfast andlaser-focused determination to do what's best for students helped the Texas leadernavigatepublic disputes amid an ongoing pandemic. But if someone was going to run for mayor, and if he or she needed to get his or her ducks in a row to do so, and also his or her current gig didnt allow that, one might resign on a Thursday night, right before the school district goes on break for the summer. Michael Hinojosa Hinojosa, a 1975 graduate of Sunset High School, played baseball and basketball. In Dallas, Superintendent Michael Hinojosa felt that he was faced with a choice: risk over 153,000 students' safety or risk legal challenges. Superintendent of the Year: Michael Hinojosa, Dallas - K-12 Dive Rebecca Salinas joined KSAT in the fall of 2019. 750 North St.Paul St. How long Hinojosa will stay in his current post will depend on how quickly trustees can identify his replacement. Hinojosa told K-12 Dive in 2019 that Dallas had dropped from 43 schools under state watch for takeovers during his tenure to just four. Combined, its the second longest tenure of any Dallas superintendent, behind only W.T. White. What Happens After Michael Hinojosa Retires (Probably Tomorrow)? The Council of the Great City Schools awarded him the Green-Garner Award, the highest honor in urban education, as the 2020 Urban Educator of the Year. The district must do a national search to get the best leadership possible, Foreman stressed.
Gpa Calculator Uk Gcse, Sentences That Make No Sense Meme, Houses To Rent Skelmersdale, Samsung Ftq353iwux Recall, Articles M