She has a horrible turn rate and oscillates a couple of thousand meters at cruise, but it's flyable. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account. Been a while since I've flown stock*, but I've heard that, for maximum efficiency, you want one turbojet for every 7.5 tons, and about four ram intakes for each turbojet. Your airspeed is mostly limited by terminal velocity; you can go much faster if you climb a little higher. Clear editor. It flames out at 25,000. I didn't succeed with his design, though; I always ended up having somehow unstable airplanes. Also, jets eat fuel at pounds-per-minute -- if you cover twice as much ground in the same time, your plane will be more efficient. KSP also tends to have very harsh induced drag if angle of attack gets too high. So that means that even if you are inside the atmosphere but still orbital (such as during aerobraking), your science will not count as "Inside the atmosphere", For example, orbiting Kerbin above 250km altitude, your science is counted as "In Space High over Kerbin." In this case lots of fuel is the wrong approach, I can get more than half way around Kerbin on 2 cans of Jet Fuel and a turbojet if I glide most of it. FAR is supposed to take aspect into account, but I'm not very experienced with it and cannot advice you as to how it works. This thread is quite old. The drag differential is because your long-wing layout is using a bunch of struts, and the reason your delta-wing has a higher ceiling is because it has more wing area to provide lift. I am currently designing a mission that will involve several very long distance plane flights. I don't have that cockpit in my career game yet, but maybe it will work with the other one. You can go above 20km with the J-404 Panther. Thats my problem right now. I'm in career mode (have the turbofan engine) and trying to get some science readings for a mission at a high altitude. At altitude the nose goes up and down until it goes out of control. How do I install mods for Kerbal Space Program 1.1? This can make it a good alternative for when you want something that can be controllable and doesn't need excessive heat shielding, but still need to be able to go incredibly fast if necessary, at the expense of increased fuel consumption. By clicking Accept all cookies, you agree Stack Exchange can store cookies on your device and disclose information in accordance with our Cookie Policy. Display as a link instead, if you just go into the SPH, slap together some parts like Legos, and go-- is to attach them with zero AoA. Well, this game isn't a perfect flight simulator yet, so it will be difficult to figure out. General Electric F-404 Afterburning Turbofan, Stratus-V Cylindrified Monopropellant Tank, Kerbodyne KR-2L+ "Rhino" Liquid Fuel Engine, LFB KR-1x2 "Twin-Boar" Liquid Fuel Engine, T-1 Toroidal Aerospike "Dart" Liquid Fuel Engine, S1 SRB-KD25k "Kickback" Solid Fuel Booster, IX-6315 "Dawn" Electric Propulsion System, AE-FF1 Airstream Protective Shell (1.25m), AE-FF3 Airstream Protective Shell (3.75m), PB-NUK Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generator, https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?title=J-404_%22Panther%22_Afterburning_Turbofan&oldid=95515. Its an approximation missing someelements. Check out the website and try the game out for yourself :Dhttps://kerbalspaceprogram.com/ You get tons of thrust if you put it into "wet" mode, but you lose fuel efficiency. Clear editor. I also set it to enable the cockpit's reaction wheels to improve control at high altitude, and close air intakes to reduce drag. This page was last edited on 22 December 2019, at 20:54. 4. Planes in Space - The Kerbal Player's Guide [Book] For example, the RAPIER engine doesn't seem as the first choice as the "best" high altitude air-breathing engine but in long-distance and high-altitude challenges it is. The second, Wet mode, uses the afterburner to produce thrust almost equal to the J-X4 "Whiplash" Turbo Ramjet Engine, but at a considerably reduced fuel efficiency. Any of my search term words; All of my search term words; Find results in. Thanks, I'll go try to stuff a few extra turbojets and intakes on my plane Do you know how many intakes/turbojet are needed to run in the regime you described? Slap that behind a plane you'll be able to go beyond 20km without any trouble. Maneuver node plans don't take drag into account, so you'll have to overshoot quite a bit to compensate. If that's all a case of Too Many Words, think of it this way: Suppose you just build a plane the "default" way and don't put any. First off as of .15.1 intakes don't do anything. How do I align things in the following tabular environment? Pasted as rich text. Make sure you have lots of control surfaces because at very high in the atmosphere, there's not much air for the wings to control the craft with. Most SSTO space planes would be able to accomplish this easily. Air temperatures vary with latitude and time of day. Yes, you can get into that range with the high end stuff (whiplash engines and ram or shock cone air intakes). Connect and share knowledge within a single location that is structured and easy to search. (the engines will use very little at high altitude anyway). If you've attached them to your fuselage with zero AoA, what that means is that when you fly, you're going to have to have the entire plane pitched slightly above in order to generate lift. Make sure you've angled your wings up slightly so that you provide enough lift for a 0 angle of attack at top speed. If too much air runs into the turbine, the excessive amount just flows out unused through side-vents (I think). As long a you can fly faster, the lower density at altitude can be compensated for. How can I make money in the new career mode? From my experience using a panther it starts to lose speed after 15-16 kms, a more suitable cruising height is 9-13km. Even up there the plane acts squirrely. I was generally under the impression that basic jets were mostly deadweight on high-performance aircraft: while they are superior for low-speed, low-altitude operations, they become deadweight at hypersonic velocities. Grichmann's answer has been the most reliable way I've found to complete these missions. Most efficient cruise altitude for jet planes? : r/KerbalSpaceProgram So long as there's only one high-altitude measurement to take, you should be able to complete a whole set of 3-4 in one flight. When added to a plane it allows tuning of the controls vs speed/altitude/G load/other factors. Welcome to the forums. 600+ m/s) and low altitudes (e.g. FBW uses three controllers - pitch, roll and yaw. Have a plane that ditches its wings and rockets up to 18km once you reach the right point. At this point the plane plummets, but as it goes deeper into the atmosphere, it regains pitch authority, and at 10km it's enough to regain control and turn it around for a safe landing. Yes, although they have only been flown with nearly full tanks. Thanks. [Solved] 30 20 / Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible. Typically, I watch my Apoapsis as I boost to the high altitude, and there's enough momentum to coast to the peak before completely running out of fuel. By climbing, you reduce drag, exponentially with altitude. Put a couple of radial mount parachutes just above the com and add a reaction wheel. Paste as plain text instead, And how many km can I expect to get per v (as calculated by Engineer redux Kerbin atmospheric stats, I know this is weird with planes)? 2022 Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. Also, while you mentioned the TJs most efficient altitude is ~ 5km (I'm not sure, but lets assume it's true), you need to realize that the drag you're getting at that altitude is going to wreck any efficiency gains. Spaceplane - Wikipedia How to know if you've nailed it perfectly: when you're cruising in level flight, you want the marker to be precisely centered in your navball cross-hairs. Don't worry about Isp. Kerbal Space Program 2 . Beginner's Guide: Tips and Basics - Kerbal Space Program 2 Wiki Guide - IGN Once you're at that regime, you should be able to cover huge distances on tiny amounts of fuel. Your previous content has been restored. High altitude (~20km) possible with normal plane engines? Remember that you need to have intakes somewhere in line with the engine to function at that altitude. If it's above the cross-hairs, you need a little less. My 'plane science' is more advanced than my 'rocket science' (career mode) because I got tired of seeing all the high-altitude missions I had on the books and wanted to finish them. This causes the body of your plane to generate additional drag. Sub-orbital spaceflight - Wikipedia Kerbin | Kerbal Space Program Wiki | Fandom Turbojets are so ridiculously efficient that it doesn't really matter. I didn't try for 20000m as it probably wouldn't do well. Isn't that backwards snark? 1 1: The basics 2 2: Setting it up 3 3: First flight 4 4: Finishing touches 1: The basics First of all, you're going to need an airplane. So Pvt. At the equator, sea level temperatures vary between a nighttime low of 9 C and a daytime high of 15 C. Third, which I haven't given a good try, would be a carefully-timed deorbit maneuver so you come down through your desired location as you fall from space. Why is there a voltage on my HDMI and coaxial cables? Air Flow: Air Flow represents with how much force air passes the turbine (notice: different amounts of air at the same speed equals in different amounts of force!). As has been said, ISP is nothing to worry about. Delta-v budget - Wikipedia Or it can supercruise at three times the speed of an equivalent Wheesley jet (with nearly equal fuel efficiency) at 15,000 m altitude. Build a plane or rocket for Kerbal high altitudes, We've added a "Necessary cookies only" option to the cookie consent popup, Screenshot of the Week #85 [Submissions Closed - Vote Now!]. To reach the initial low Earth orbit of the International Space Stationof 300 km (now 400 km), the delta-v is over six times higher, about 9.4 km/s. In this chapter, you ll learn about the Space Plane Hangar, a building that forms part of the Kerbal . Thanks for asking this, I've been struggling with the same problem in career mode. As you found out, it basically konks out at 15km. As I understand, the OP wanted "the most efficient way to fly", and simply needed a bit of help in realizing that that is a hypersonic, high-altitude, high-performance aircraft which is a RAPIER and a little oxidizer away from being an SSTO spaceplane. Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible. That would oscillate slowly between 16000m and 17000m but was otherwise fully controllable. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account. So I'm pretty darn new to KSP, and my career has barely gotten started, and the jobs for crew observations seem to dominate . This means that the only thing that decides wheter your engines run efficient is determined by how much thrust they produce (opt. Be sure to have enough intakes (I think maximum efficiency in stock is 1 ramjet intake per ~2 tons of plane, though that is aesthetically ridiculous), and if you're still running short of intake air, you can dip down a bit to speed up and get to denser air. The SR-71 could probably fly higher, but it isn't flying any more. Espaol - Latinoamrica (Spanish - Latin America), https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1933948095, https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1933948668, https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1934517923, https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1335577943, https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1640213502, https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1640214586, https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1937826505, https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1937931692. J-404 "Panther" Afterburning Turbofan - Kerbal Space Program For comparison, the second most maneuverable engine is the CR-7 R.A.P.I.E.R. It is designed to aid in player-controlled flight on generic (space)plane, providing a soft layer between user joystick\keyboard input and control surface outputs. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top, Not the answer you're looking for? New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast. If your using NEAR/FAR, once you get high and fast, kill the engine and glide to save fuel. The most efficient way is, of course, to make a high altitude (or space) plane. Proceed with caution. 2022 Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. Make sure we're on the same page with terminology. Basically there are two things that limit your maximum speed: thrust and speed of sound and with that your maximum altitude. Your link has been automatically embedded. What plane in existence can fly at the highest altitude, and - Quora But my guess is that these same general principles would probably apply to FAR, and that all that would change would be the numbers involved. I decided to look into that two intakes thing, and it turns out to make 11-12 m/s difference at 19,000m with my plane. In the game, players direct a nascent space program, staffed and crewed by green humanoid aliens known as "Kerbals". Landing On Laythe Moon Of Jool Kerbal Space Program Youtube Create an account to follow your favorite communities and start taking part in conversations. The other one I stay around 6000 meters. This tutorial will cover designing and flying a plane that can soar at high altitudes! It's Kerbal Space Program v.22! Then it is "In Space Low over Mun.". The high performance engine for me performs pretty good till about 15000 meter. But. Though I'm still working on learning to be better at space planes. All rights reserved. What am I doing wrong here in the PlotLegends specification. Satellite Launcher - Kerbal Space Program Wiki Thankyou all, I now reckon I have a much better understanding of the engines, hopefully that'll translate to better aircraft. even stranger is that the surface is textured. That's because wings need to have some AoA to the airstream in order to generate much lift. Range with this method is pretty short due to drag. The Inland Kerbal Space Center itself, being in effect the old Kerbal Space Center from 0.2. Is it even possible? Mounting a time-limited rescue mission for kerbal inbound to Kerbin. The Boeing X-37, also known as the Orbital Test Vehicle (OTV), is a reusable robotic spacecraft. A well-designed jet with this engine and with the afterburner lit, flown properly, can momentarily climb to 30,000 m altitude. When I say ", You know you've nailed it correctly if, when you're in level flight, your. Imagine that first plane but with the bubble cockpit and the old style round intakes. The ideal case for optimally efficient flight (which is what you want if you're trying to maximize cruise altitude) is when your wings are mounted to the body, pitched up just enough that when cruising in level flight, the body of the aircraft is pointing perfectly . Even if the air is thin, you can still put out plenty of power if you are shoving enough in with raw speed. 101 kPa 1 atm Scale Height 5000 m Atmospheric Height 69 077.553 m 1.010-6 atm Minimum Temprature -40.19 C 232.96 K Maximum Temprature 20 C 293.15 K Oxygen Present Yes Contents 1 Kerbin 2 Topography 3 Kerbal Space Center 4 Atmosphere 4.1 The Troposphere 4.2 The Stratosphere 4.3 The Thermosphere 4.4 The Exosphere 5 The Kerbin System 5.1 The Mun You can do that by right-clicking the engine and clicking "Toggle Mode." TLDR: You need parts you don't have to make a plane that flies that high. Since gravity is effectively lower, they don't need as much wing area to maintain altitude-- which, in turn, means less drag, which makes for more efficient flight. That will unlock: "Whiplash" Turbojet Which is capable of high altitude, high speed flight. The Kerbal Space Program subreddit. Things that work at low altitude don't work so well up high and the plane ends up going up and down while slowly losing speed until it can't maintain altitude anymore. alternatively, combine a liquid fuel rocket into your plane. First is thrust; the higher you get, the lower the thrust your engines deliver. The thrust of jets (turbo or otherwise) depends on airspeed: basics deliver more thrust at low speeds, while turbojets only really come into their own when you fly very fast (which also means flying very high, 20km and over). Here's my example of dealing with the situation. I don't have the numbers handy, but you can expect something like 400m/s at 15km. Build a plane or rocket for Kerbal high altitudes - Arqade Arqade is a question and answer site for passionate videogamers on all platforms. A destructible memorial to the old Mk. But you'll need to unlock: High Altitude Flight Which cost 300 science. Right now, my big, fat plane has trouble breaking 10 km altitude and 200 m/s forward speed (largely due to its payload). - "In Space High" means your craft is inside the given Sphere of Influence and above the "Space Border" altitude listed in the Celestial Body Multiplier Matrix. - Insane lift to weight didn't help. ksp high altitude plane - digitalidentityorganization.com I'm trying to build a high altitude plane and have found out that the rules are different. A full suite of flaps on the trailing edges of the main wings give it exceptional low-speed lift, and small hydroplane steps mounted on each side of the fuselage bottom help lift it out of the water (lowering water drag) during takeoff runs.
Hawaiianair Sharepoint, 2022 17u Baseball Tournaments, Knights Templar Cross Of Lorraine, Motorola Rdm2070d Talk Button Replacement, Is Tea Masculine Or Feminine In French, Articles K